Term of endearment?

Go down

Term of endearment?

Post by STINKY1207 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Unsure of the correct spelling, but what does Belle Doche mean? It is used by a very good mutual French friend in an affectionate way to another elderly female friend. They have been good friends for years and I suspect it is something akin to 'The old dragon/similar. I hope it is affectionate cos if it isn't I wont tell her.

STINKY1207

Back to top Go down

Re: Term of endearment?

Post by Tradzoner on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am

I haven't heard this myself but I wonder if it is possibly belle doux, literally translated "pretty sweet".

That is my guess for it, but it is only that.

Back to top Go down

Post by STINKY1207 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks Tradzoner, as I said I am unsure of the spelling but it is pronounced dosh. Jm has no English and even the French have difficulty understanding his mix of patois and grunts. I have asked him but he cannot translate it for us. Knowing him I seriously doubt any malice in its use. Stinky.

STINKY1207

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 am

I did find this in Wiktionnaire, which makes it slang for mother in law but that did not fit your description of usage.

belle-doche /bɛl dɔʃ/ féminin
1.(Argot) (Péjoratif) Mère de l’épouse ou de l’époux. Depuis mon mariage, je n’ai jamais réussi à m’entendre avec ma belle-doche

Back to top Go down

Post by STINKY1207 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am

Thats it. It fits his sense of humour and their friendship perfectly. Thanks Tradzoner. Stinky.Very Happy 

STINKY1207

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:23 am

Great.

I wish my French was better. I will just keep trying and one day in about 10 years perhaps I will speak it fluently LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am

I don't think I will ever be fluent. I can made myself understood but the intricacies of the language are beyond me.

Back to top Go down

Post by very19 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Popular speaking for mother-in-law. Not very classy...
very19

http://www.gothicelixir.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by STINKY1207 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Neither is JM, Very19. He is a kind man just rough around the edges. She is tickled pink he calls her that.Smile 

STINKY1207

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 pm

Tradzoner wrote:Great.

I wish my French was better. I will just keep trying and one day in about 10 years perhaps I will speak it fluently LOL.
I think it's unlikely that any of us, unless born or brought up in France, will ever be fluent - especially if we are older when we start trying! The best we can hope for is to be understood whilst mangling the conjugation of our verbs!Very Happy 

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:02 am

Amber wrote:I think it's unlikely that any of us, unless born or brought up in France, will ever be fluent - especially if we are older when we start trying! The best we can hope for is to be understood whilst mangling the conjugation of our verbs!Very Happy 
I don't 100% agree. I know it is harder and slower to learn when you are older but I do know a couple of people who can speak fluently, so its not impossible. I believe a lot depends on how much time you spend with French people/activities etc etc. I will never give up the thought that one day I might be able to. Smile Smile Smile Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum