Syria - which way will France go?

Go down

Syria - which way will France go?

Post by Irena on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:39 am

Pressure is mounting on French President François Hollande to put any motion to launch military strikes against Syria before a parliamentary vote. http://f24.my/15q7Rgu

Irena
Admin

http://limousin.forumactif.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Syria - which way will France go?

Post by tocyvi on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

I was delighted that the British Government threw out the vote for military action against Syria. Having seen the results of Blair's interference in Iraq, it would have been another aggressive and illegal act against a foreign power. To all those newspapers and commentators who are suggesting that Britain's role in the world has been diminished, I would say this: if declaring war against another country diminishes one's internationally perceived role, then the world has its priorities upside down. Since when has the determination to kill innocent citizens been a guide to a country's standing in the world? Hollande, to my mind, is trying desperately to show that he is capable of acting in a big boy's world where might equals right; unfortunately he has barely left the kindergarten, where such matters are involved.
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Isn't it strange that in all those countries where the West has intervened, there is no peace or democracy now and the West had always some interest other than the safety of these countries' citizens? Was it George Bush who said that within 5 years after 9/11 the US would punish 5 of the "evil" states and some more in the 5 years thereafter? Afganistan, Iraq, Libie, now Syrie and then Somalie, Iran, ...

First I could not see the interest in Syrie, now they talk about a new gas pipeline from Qatar (via Syrie) to use the already built but hardly used Nabucco pipeline from Turkey to Europe. This way Israel and Europe would be less dependant on Poetin's Gazprom. Now that could be a good reason to support the rebels (as Qatar is already doing) and unstabilise Assad's regime.

There is crisis everywhere, but there's always money for wars. Shame on you, Obama and other world leaders. Better invest our resources to combat the disaster taking place in Fukushima before it's too late for all of us.affraid 
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Folks
I know this will be a bit of a cat among the pigeons but as a ex army long service NCO i have always found our political leaders of what ever party to be a bunch of political point scoring idiots. they always have a lot to say about things which they have little knowlage of or understanding of.
After many years of serving God, Queen and country around the world i have have always found the best policy is to let sleeping dogs lay and while they are killing each other they are not killing our forces boys and girls.
As one of my old CO's use to say have another G & T and let the locals kick the hell out of each other and then we can put a UN beret on and sort whats left out. I must say its worked every time for me. so let them get on with it.
Simmo in the Correze

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 pm

Have to agree dont think in this matter intervention will improve anything Crying or Very sad 
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:39 pm

I too think there should definitely be NO intervention. I have a Syrian friend who is living in France but has family still stuck there. Their conditions are appalling and they cannot get out nor can they trust anyone. They were pleased initially but she tells me that both sides are now as bad as each other. Killing everyone and destroying churches and mosques. It would not solve anything to go in, only make matters worse IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 am

simmo wrote:i have always found our political leaders of what ever party to be a bunch of political point scoring idiots.  they always have a lot to say about things which they have little knowlage of or understanding of.
Hi Simmo. I think you should give the politicians credit this time. Most people were expecting a repeat of the Iraq situation (another pointless and unproductive involvement) and yet the proposal was thrown out. As I said above, I was delighted yet amazed at the result. The other difference from Iraq was the way the decision was taken. Blair took the country to war on a whim and a lie. The House had no say in the matter and yet he is still swanning around the world political stage like a star-struck actor who has been offered the lead role in Peter Pan. Cameron, to his credit, gave the House the opportunity to discuss and vote and, albeit reluctantly, agreed to abide by the decision. Politicians are, quite rightly, an easy target for criticism but, when they are right, we should recognise it.
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 am

Tradzoner wrote:both sides are now as bad as each other.
Exactly. Initially this was couched as a good versus bad fight but onlookers quickly realised that this was naive. This is no fight for freedom; this is simply an internecine struggle based on the premise "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". Even if Bashar al-Assad is beaten, this will not be the start of a peaceful transition to democracy; rather it will be the precursor to yet another civil war based on factions and personal interests.
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum