Bread machine bread !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bread machine bread !

Post by BLAKEVINE on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:29 pm

I was reading about the vitamin C thing and that prompted me to write about my bread making experience with our Panasonic machine which we brought with us from the UK. In England I used to make a loaf in the machine about every 3 days and used Hovis yeast sachets with mixtures of Allinson's flour (white, wholemeal, seed&Grain........) depending upon what sort of loaf I was making. Pine nut and pesto and Olive bread were my favourites. Each loaf was excellent (if I say so myself) and I never bought "shop" bread.

When we moved to France I was apprehensive about using the machine but am experimenting with flour and yeast here. So far I have had successes with using up the flour we brought from the UK mixed with the BIO aux graines et aux cereales (seed and grain). Today I have braved it and have put the machine on using french yeast.......in a few hours I'll know the result.

As for making the Pine nut and Pesto - well the Pesto is easy enough to get but the French supermarkets don't seem to stock "nuts". Remember in Sainsbury's along the baking isle - the bags of pine, cashew, walnut etc - where can I get them (untoasted and unsalted) here???? I was spoilt in England as we had a wholefoods supplier near us who provided a constant source of nuts, seeds, grains, pulses, lentils etc etc.

..............must keep an eye on the bread......................K

BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Re: Bread machine bread !

Post by Inkflo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 pm

You can get them online here ... http://www.fruitssecsduweb.com/autres-graines/21-pignon-de-pin-portugal---sachet-1-kg-net.html

but have you tried Grand Frais in Limoges or at the family village on the ZI Nord? They have a big selection of nuts and spices, both loose and in bags.
Their website is showing a recipe using them, so I'm sure you will get them there.
http://www.grandfrais.com/recettes-entrees-salade-de-haricots-coco-aux-poivrons-et-pignons-de-pin/recettes-en-s-410.html

Good luck
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks for the website - I'll have a look at that. Sorry to be thick but we've only been here since July and we're a couple of hours from Limoges. Is Grand Frais the magasin name and is the ZI Nord you refer to also Limoges? Don't mind a trip to Limoges if I can stock up!!! Thanks. K
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 pm

I confess I cheat and use flour with everything added already.... just add water. Flour comes from Lidl, several types but I like the sunflower seed one. 99 cents a bag and that makes two loaves. Yummy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:56 pm

BLAKEVINE wrote:Thanks for the website - I'll have a look at that.  Sorry to be thick but we've only been here since July and we're a couple of hours from Limoges.  Is Grand Frais the magasin name and is the ZI Nord you refer to also Limoges?  Don't mind a trip to Limoges if I can stock up!!!  Thanks.  K
Grand Frais is the name of the shop, ZI Nord, is the Zone Industrielle just north of Limoges off the A20.
You can also get them at Monoprix in the centre of Limoges and at Toupargel which is a frozen food delivery company.
http://www.touslesprix.com/achat,pignons-de-pin.html

You could order them online in 1 Kilo bags, but they aren't cheap!  see here ...    http://www.delicesdeschefs.fr/index-ID_MS-6630-famille-849-cat-delices-lng-FRANCAIS.html?gclid=CKfh28rJvrkCFe_LtAodIgYA6Q

I'm sure other forum member will know of somewhere closer to you though.

Just a thought, are you near to an Auchan supermarket?
They have them I think. see their delivery info http://www.auchandirect.fr/petit-dejeuner-epicerie-sucree/desserts,-ingredients/pignons-de-pin/id1/486/2959
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Aha! Yes - we go to Auchan on the outskirts of Tulle...I'll search out the pine nuts - still having trouble getting cashews............Will also check out the Limoges suggestions - thanks VERY much. K
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Oh yes - I think there's a Lidl in Egletons so I can check out the flour too! Thanks. K
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:55 pm

There is a Grand Frais supermarket in Brive, on the road behind the Rugby Stadium.

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Nuts

Post by Inkflo on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:33 pm

BLAKEVINE wrote:Aha!  Yes - we go to Auchan on the outskirts of Tulle...I'll search out the pine nuts - still having trouble getting cashews............Will also check out the Limoges suggestions - thanks VERY much.  K
Cashews really shouldn't be a problem.
If you go to any big supermarket, have a look where they have the dried fruit and nuts. There should be cashews.
Failing that, I'm pretty sure Grand Frais have those too.
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

........and the levure boulangere works a treat too......provided you use the recommended amount according to the bread machine and not what it says on the sachet.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, we are out in the sticks so the nearest boulangerie is 12 kilometres away (24kms for a baguette.........) Hmmmmmmm

Thanks for the Grand Frais behind the rugby stad - will have a look. We do go big supermarket shopping but obviously haven't looked hard enough......Ta!
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm

The nearest shops to you:

Flour:

Lidl Egletons
Better still, the bio mill in Egletons, in the centre of town.
Aldi in Argentat has a special offer at the moment of different types of flour, specially for the bread machine and they are delicious.
There is a bio mill just outside Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne too. If you want, I can look up their address. Beaulieu is a nice place to spend an afternoon if the weather is good.

Nuts, grains, etc. we get in the bio shop opposite the station in Tulle. They have great wholemeal rice too for Euro 2,- per kilo. You just need to bring a container to put it in. There is a large bio supermarket in Tulle as well, I think on the road direction Limoges, but I have not been there yet.

The Grand Frais in Brive is the nearest one to you.

Mr. Ed in Tulle also has dried fruit, nuts, etc. and spices too.

Nice to know you can use bakers' yeast in the bread machine instead of the dried stuff, thanks!

And if you want a baguette in the morning, Aldi in Argentat has individually packed pre-baked ones that are not bad at all, for around Euro 0,85.
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Wow - thanks for all that, Myriam. I will enjoy a "research trip" to Egletons. I know where the Tourist office is in the middle - where is the BIO mill in relation to that please? I was thinking of a trip to Argentat as we originally thought we might like to live that way so I know the Super U and Gedimat area - is Aldi in that vicinity too? Beaulieu is another favourite so I would appreciate knowing where the BIO mill is there too. Don't know the area around the station in Tulle but will look out Mr Ed. As for the yeast, I just bought a packet of it in our local Utile and it seems to work. I've also tried the pre-baked baguettes and they're not too bad are they. Thanks so much. Karen.
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Website of the mill in Egletons: http://www.minoterie-estager.com/
I do not know where the Tourist Office is, but the mill is in the avenue Charles de Gaulle.

If you enter Argentat from direction Marcillac/St. Martin, you turn right at the first small round-about (at the crossing with the Tradi-Corrèz on your right) and you follow this road. You will see the market place on your left (Thursday mornings) and Mr. Bricolage on your right. Just after that you will find Aldi marché on your left. They will be moving in October to a site outside Argentat, direction Aurillac.

Address of the bio mill near Beaulieu:

Minoterie Dom
Moulin d'Estresse
19120 Beaulieu sur Dordogne
Tel: 0555 91 11 15
Fax: 0555 91 09 80

Incidentally, this is the flour that they use at the Voulute Restaurant in Beaulieu and the two Scottish guys that run it were on "Place in the Sun" some 7 years ago, I am told (if they are still there).

Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irena on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:48 pm

Our Carrefour in Bellac (a smallish one) has pine nuts. They are next to other nuts, dried fruit etc in the fresh fruit and veg aisle. (The reasoning behind this is a I think that they are items people might put into salads?).

Irena
Admin

http://limousin.forumactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

Got some pignons de pin from Super U but will be trying other sources as these cost a fortune.
thanks
K
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:54 pm

So much info ,reminds me of when i first came to france the advice and help on the forum was great ,and still is Laughing 
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum