Seaweed Samphire Salicorne

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seaweed Samphire Salicorne

Post by noodles on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 am

Has anyone seen this for sale anywhere in France (ideally Limousin) ? I believe it is Salicorne in French. I have found jars of it available on line, just wondered if anyone had spotted any fresh in a fishmongers maybe?
noodles

Back to top Go down

Re: Seaweed Samphire Salicorne

Post by Tofu_Lover on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 am

Samphire!!

My very, very favourite. I lived for much of my earlier life in West Norfolk, where simply the best samphire originated on the marshes. Washed, and lightly cooked, served with vinegar and pepper, or just melted butter. Simply succulent. Piles of cockles fresh off the boats at King's Lynn, and those little brown Wash shrimps, sweet and nutty, perfect with bread and butter.

We used to get it for next to nothing a wrap (big bundle in newspaper), often from the 'samphire man', who clopped along the streets of King's Lynn with a horse and cart, calling 'Samphire!! Samphire!!'.

I'm informed that the samphire marshes are all but wrecked now, because of the demand from posh London restaurants (and indeed those rather exclusive gastro-pubs that have popped up around the Norfolk coast, having priced the locals out of the market). What was known as poor man's asparagus has turned into an expensive delicacy. The cockle beds have gone the same way, by and large, destroyed by modern trawling methods. I imagine the shrimps have followed.

As for finding samphire here - I have seen it in those LeClerc supermarkets with a fresh fish counter. But it looks very poor quality, and outrageously expensive. I have to say I haven't been tempted, either by the price or the sad look of it. It certainly isn't the samphire of my childhood. It may well be that coastal areas of France have a better selection - to be honest, I don't really reckon on any of the 'fresh' seafood that finds its way into the centre of France.

And I should add that the samphire harvest is (or should be) a very short season - 6 or 8 weeks. Harvesting at other times disrupts the growing cycle, and is one reason for the decimation of the marshes in Norfolk - the season will have ended there by now (elsewhere, I'm not sure when the season extends to).
Tofu_Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by noodles on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:20 pm

THanks for that, lots of useful info. there. I will put the recipe I had back to the bottom of the pile Laughing We have just put our house on the market so maybe once sold we will add "a coast with a samphire supply" as one of our criteria lol!  thanks again
noodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Irena on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Just back from shopping in Carrefour in Bellac. They always have some on the fish counter and it looks lovely and fresh.

Irena
Admin

http://limousin.forumactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by noodles on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Right thank you, I will look next time I am in Intermarche Limoges (our favourite fish counter). I will also ask the fishmonger here . I will move the recipe in to the "maybe" pile Very Happy 
noodles

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Crying or Very sad moveing again noodles [wendy ]where to this time ,i would love to move as my kitchen is much too small and an acre garden is too much but with 4 cats ,one house cat and  3 house and barn cats ,wont stay in house at night ,what do i do we had such a job moveing them when we came here almost lost one of them ,and they love it here [yes i know most people are not cat lovers here [only dogs ]but i love my cats and would not want to lose them ,they are 7 years old so i will just have to wait Crying or Very sad 
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Yes samphire,cornish picked on the cliffs and eaten with the pilchards that were fished and so plentifull then .
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Tofu_Lover on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm

redburmese wrote:Yes samphire,cornish picked on the cliffs and eaten with the pilchards that were fished and so plentifull then .
Ah, rock samphire. A different species to the marsh samphire I'm used to. Less succulent, but just as tasty. And gets an honourable mention in Shakespeare's 'King Lear'. There. Literary heritage with your seaweed. What more could you want?

I wonder which the French samphire is, then. Rock, or Marsh? Might explain why it looks (to me) a little less plump.
Tofu_Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Ahh - Norfolk Marsh Samphire, you can't beat it! We lived further along from you Tufu Lover, Sheringham way and used to love the samphire from Cley or Blakeney.

Re. the best fish counters here, we were told the best fish is from Intermarche as they run their own fishing fleet so the fish is always fresher than from other supermarkets.

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Hubby used to be a fishmonger [before he went into the print ,no funny comments please Rolling Eyes ]and he found the markets like PANAZOL were the freshest fish to be found ,but with a supermarket if you can smell fish its not as fresh as it should be !the larger markets are worth a look Laughing 
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by peirol on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:12 pm

We've found fresh samphire is available throughout the samphire season (April to September I think) at the fresh fish counter in our local Carrefour (Bellac). Fresh and good quality, as good as we have had in Norfolk and Brittany.

peirol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum