The Philippines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Philippines

Post by tocyvi on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Only the hardest hearts can fail to have been moved by the pitiful sights and sounds of the destruction in the Philippines. What is hard to understand, however, is how, in a world that is so technically and economically advanced, an emergency response can take so long.

The funding fiasco, following the earthquake in Haiti, demonstrates the inability (or unwillingness) of world organisations to undertake, control and initiate an effective relief programme, following natural or man-made disasters. It is farcical that countries can organise and prosecute wars at the drop of a hat and yet can’t manage to develop feasible and meaningful health, feeding and reconstruction programmes in a timespan extending over several years. If Haiti is a good yardstick, the poor people of the Philippines will still be waiting for assistance in 4 years time.

It’s not as if we can’t afford to help; India recently managed to rake together £45,000,000 to spend on, what is basically a very expensive firework. It is, in my not so humble opinion, an act of sheer obscenity to blow this sort of budget in a space race with China, when sitting round the corner from the launch pad, are people who can barely find enough to eat.

Basically, this typifies the attitude of the world; we can find cash to undertake our own self-aggrandising projects, but will shake our heads sadly when the begging bowl is passed round to help some god-forsaken country which has been devastated by the latest in a series of catastrophes.

If the measure of the world is how we treat our most needy people, we have failed to even get off the starting blocks.
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Re: The Philippines

Post by Richard T on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am

tocyvi wrote:...India recently managed to rake together £45,000,000 to spend on, what is basically a very expensive firework. It is, in my not so humble opinion, an act of sheer obscenity to blow this sort of budget in a space race with China, when sitting round the corner from the launch pad, are people who can barely find enough to eat.
In fairness £45 million is pretty much loose change in India's economy and, as other countries have discovered, space programmes are essential to improve communications through the launching of satellites. These ultimately benefit ordinary people, even those on the poverty line. If it was always a case of not spending money on capital projects because poverty, health etc is a more pressing need then few countries would make the technological progress needed to address these issues.

That's not to say, of course, that poverty should be ignored but, in India's case for example, perhaps if fewer of its people avoided paying into the tax system then the government would be better placed to tackle poverty and health.

Richard

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:32 pm

What annoys me, is that so much aid goes to India, yet there are still so many people living in poverty, children in squalor on the streets, which they continue to ignore, but they can have a nuclear deterrent and a space programme.
The US have announced this week that they are having ten new aircraft carriers built, whilst they argue about funding healthcare for the most needy.
It seems to me that some governments have their priorities all wrong.
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Richard T wrote:
tocyvi wrote:...India recently managed to rake together £45,000,000 to spend on, what is basically a very expensive firework.
In fairness £45 million is pretty much loose change in India's economy and, as other countries have discovered, space programmes are essential to improve communications through the launching of satellites.
Hi Richard. I understand that this was a “budget no-frills O’Leary type of flight” but it is still a whopping amount of money.

The point you make about £45m being loose change is a pertinent one, but there are two ways of looking at this: you can either compare it to India’s national budget, in which case it appears to be a drop in the ocean; or you can compare it with their annual spending on welfare, and in this respect, their record is not brilliant:

“India ranks 23rd in the Asian Development Bank’s Social Protection Index (SPI) – a ranking of 35 countries spanning across Central and West Asia to East Asia and the Pacific region. Even among the 19 countries of the same income level – the lower middle-income group – India ranks 12th, below Philippines and Sri Lanka”

From: First Post India (I’m not a regular reader, of course……well, you can’t get it in LeClerc for some reason).

Inkflo wrote:What annoys me, is that so much aid goes to India, yet there are still so many people living in poverty, children in squalor on the streets, which they continue to ignore, but they can have a nuclear deterrent and a space programme.
Hi Inkflo:

"The UK is to end financial aid to India by 2015, international development secretary Justine Greening has said.
Support worth about £200m ($319m) will be phased out between now and 2015 and the UK's focus will then shift to offering technical assistance."

BBC Website 09/11/12

So they’ll have to find their money for rockets (of all descriptions) from a different budget head
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:11 pm

India and all the other supposedly dog poor countries, always seem to find the cash for schemes that seem to be opposed to their wealth. The OH was lecturing in Delhi earlier this year to Management Science students, the local university paid her a squeeze over £1000 a day, Business Class travel and living expenses of £270 a day, for a seven day trip. Most of the time was spent doing nothing and with no one to lecture too, the students, in the main rich kids, could not be bothered to turn up even though they, or more likely their parents, were paying handsomely for the privilege of learning. They did wonder why the fail rate was above eighty percent. Laughing

www.pink-electrique.fr
Le-Dolly

http://www.pink-electrique.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm

tocyvi wrote:The point you make about £45m being loose change is a pertinent one, but there are two ways of looking at this: you can either compare it to India’s national budget, in which case it appears to be a drop in the ocean; or you can compare it with their annual spending on welfare, and in this respect, their record is not brilliant:...
I'm not sure the comparisons are particularly helpful. I guess it all depends on whether you think space programmes per se are a waste of money; I don't as they enable valuable technological advances. By way of analogy, few would argue that money spent on building hospitals or schools (which could quite easily cost the same as the money spent by India on its space flight) would be better spent by giving it directly on the poor in welfare payments, so why compare money spent on the space programme with money spent on welfare?

Of course India needs to do much more for the welfare of its population but it's a different issue. Diverting £45 million from its space programme would achieve next to nothing.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Richard T wrote:
tocyvi wrote:The point you make about £45m being loose change is a pertinent one, but there are two ways of looking at this: you can either compare it to India’s national budget, in which case it appears to be a drop in the ocean; or you can compare it with their annual spending on welfare, and in this respect, their record is not brilliant:...
I'm not sure the comparisons are particularly helpful. I guess it all depends on whether you think space programmes per se are a waste of money; I don't as they enable valuable technological advances. By way of analogy, few would argue that money spent on building hospitals or schools (which could quite easily cost the same as the money spent by India on its space flight) would be better spent by giving it directly on the poor in welfare payments, so why compare money spent on the space programme with money spent on welfare?
Of course India needs to do much more for the welfare of its population but it's a different issue. Diverting £45 million from its space programme would achieve next to nothing.
Hi Richard. It’s not that I’m fundamentally against space programmes; to my mind, it’s more about priorities. You’re right to point out the advantages and lessons learnt from such developments but I can’t help but see a recurring image of a hungry person watching a rocket blasting off into space and as he watches, he wonders at the fundamental unfairness of it all. I recognise that this is a very subjective, over-simplified and very likely, naïve point of view but I just can't see it from a coldly rational standpoint.

I suppose it was summed up, for me, in a short clip about the Philippines today on BBC; a young woman was pleading for help for food “not televisions, not cell-phones, food, food”. The space programme will, in the long run, provide answers to many questions and assist development in a number of areas; what it won’t do is put food into the mouths of the hungry today.
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Le-Dolly wrote:India and all the other supposedly dog poor countries, always seem to find the cash for schemes that seem to be opposed to their wealth. The OH was lecturing in Delhi earlier this year to Management Science students, the local university paid her a squeeze over £1000 a day, Business Class travel and living expenses of £270 a day, for a seven day trip. Most of the time was spent doing nothing and with no one to lecture too, the students, in the main rich kids, could not be bothered to turn up even though they, or more likely their parents, were paying handsomely for the privilege of learning. They did wonder why the fail rate was above eighty percent. Laughing
Hi Le-Dolly. I don't suppose your o/h needs an assistant, by any chance. In the words of Yosser Hughes: "Go on, gis a job; I can do that"
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Getting back to the gist of your original comment Tocyvi, you said exactly the same as I did when shouting at the TV News yesterday. The whole world knew this hurricane was coming so why wasn't the aid already packed onto transport planes or helicopters and waiting to take off as soon as safe to do so afterwards. Why are we seeing reports of vital supplies being loaded now whilst the victims needed fresh water and some food urgently yesterday?

It makes my blood boil.

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:26 am

Amber wrote:It makes my blood boil.
Hi Amber. It certainly hasn't done my blood pressure a lot of good either (I find it comforting that I'm not the only one that shouts at the TV).
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum