Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little stray cat updated

+3
Amber
very19
Inkflo
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Little stray cat updated Empty Little stray cat updated

Post by Inkflo Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 pm

A small grey cat began visiting our garden a couple of months ago. She was eating the bird food from their table each day, so I began feeding her.
Now she arrives throughout the day, although she does disappear at times and then comes back next morning.
She has a few ticks under her neck and a problem with an ear irritation, and now it looks like she's pregnant and I should think she will have the kittens any day now.
She was terrified of people when she first started visiting us, but now she will sit and have a fuss, and lies in the garden while we work.
I have asked a few people about her, but nobody seems to know who she belongs to.
I don't want to take her to the Amis des Chats in case she does belong to someone, but she is so hungry all the time, I can't imagine she is being fed elsewhere.
Nor do I want the poor little thing to give birth and then get pregnant again, but what do I do about her?
Any ideas please?  Neutral

Last edited by Inkflo on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Little stray cat updated Empty Re: Little stray cat updated

Post by very19 Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Maybe you could try phone to the Haute-Vienne SPA to get advise if you can speak french. Or so luckily the person could speak english. Site: http://www.spa87.fr/
I think they could lend you a catch box. And so you could bring her to veterinary to sterilize. Or SPA could manage that... Ask them and do explain your embarrassment.

We gathered our actual cat about 2 years ago and he had similar behavior you say. Very afraid, impossible to touch, and eating in the garden only. But bit by bit we managed to tame. For finally, as I couldn't imagine that at the beginning, he slip in our bed every nights and leave us a little space...
So, to say, do not be discouraged, it is still possible to tame a cat if he is hungry and he is young.

Our method was to bring the dish increasingly close to home and after in the entrance room, leaving him alone. One day we closed the door behind him. I let you imagine ...
Also when he were eating we tried small caress. And so on.

Most surprising is when we locked in a transport box and brought to the vet for sterilization. After the operation we kept in the bathroom for several days and from that moment it became much closer and no longer afraid to come in.
very19
very19

http://www.gothicelixir.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 am

Thank you Very19. I think we will have to try this.
The only worry I have is that she may belong to someone, so 'll try asking around again, and if we still cant find an owner, I'll take her.
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:53 pm

If she belongs to someone I would think she'd be less afraid of you than she is. I have lots of cats, the majority of whom sleep outside (i.e. are not house cats) but even they enjoy a stroke and a 'chat'. A couple of them were very wary to start with but, as Very19 said, food can be a great bribe!

Meant to say that cats decide where they want to live, so even if she belonged to someone she's perhaps decided she wanted to move house.

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:57 pm

That may be the case Amber. I knew a vet once who said his cat had seven homes!
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Had this problem ,which is why i have 4 cats of 7 years old ,was 6 but two developed cancer ,the french will not bother or pay to have cats sterilized ,they just dump them when they are in the club [french friends told us this ]if you dont want the kittens see your vet and then have the mother cat seen to ,if your willing to have the kittens ,fine ,and then see the mother cat seen to .such a shame but cats to the french are not bothered with .all my adopted cats including the mother have been seen to so no more kittens ,good luck and hope you adopt them as no one else will bother  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Sad story, we can't adopt them, but I would prefer the amis de chats to take her so that she can have her kittens somewhere safe. I know they sometimes sterilize them and return them to the place they came from, and I don't mind feeding her, so maybe that's an option.
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by very19 Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:26 pm

redburmese wrote:the french will not bother or pay to have cats sterilized ,they just dump them when they are in the club [french friends told us this ]
such a shame but cats to the french are not bothered with . 

Part of french, not all!. You can't generalize. These are a priori. I am  and know so much french completely crazy of cats. Laughing
very19
very19

http://www.gothicelixir.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:49 pm

You are right, Very 19, I know plenty of French people who really love animals and will do whatever is necessary to give them a good life, including getting them sterilised if necessary.

Amber

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Must be a differant area ,in the two hamlets we have lived in the french are not interested in cats ,only dogs !!and shooting cats is a french pastime ,i know 2 of my cats had pellets in them ,if you live anywhere where the french love cats and have them doctered ,you are lucky!!
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Although there are people who do not want to spend money on the care of cats, there are lots of French who do care.

When I took in an abandoned female cat and she turned up with her kitten, my French neighbour offered to pay for half the sterilisation costs for the mother, which was very welcome and I accepted her offer, as I also had to pay for the kitten to be neutered.

Two other French neighbours paid half each for the castration of an abandoned cat that one of them has taken in.

Maybe it depends on where you, but I would find it bizarre if people's behaviour in the Creuse was so much different to that of those in the Corrèze... Anyway, it's always dangerous to generalise.
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Myriam, what is the approximate cost of sterilising a cat please?
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:15 pm

For our Loulou I paid the following:-

Sterilisation Euro 80,00
Test Leucose-FIV Euro 14,00
Vaccination No. 1 Euro 44,00
Vaccination No. 2 Euro ?

You can use Advantage (drop in the back of the neck) against ticks, flees, etc. You should get her dewormed also at about Euro 2,00 for one tablet.

How is it going now? If you can get her inside a carrying case, the vet may still be able to abort the young if she's not too far gone...
Please let us know.
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Our vets are more expensive - normally 125€ for a female sterilisation.

Amber

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:39 pm

It's always good to mention to the vet that the cat is an "abandonnée" that has come to your home. They may give you a lower tariff.

There are also local associations who help people with the cost of homeless cats' sterilisations. Maybe the secretary at the mairie can tell you if there is such an organisation near you.
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm

The SPA run a scheme every so often don't they? I think they offer cheap(er) sterilisation in conjunction with specified vets.

Amber

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Yes, the SPA have special weeks with reduced tariff to encourage people to have them neutered in general, but in the case of a pregnant cat this rarely comes at the right moment...
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks for that info. Sadly, abortion is not an option as she can hardly walk now she is so big. She keeps arriving in the garden and doesn't seem to know where to sit, so I think she will be having the kittens this week.
I did the spot on a few weeks ago before we realised she was pregnant, but I'm in a quandry now, as I know she can get pregnant again very quickly after the birth.
I still don't know if she has a home, although she has taken to sleeping on our garden chairs. I have left a cat carrier out for her with a pillow in it, so at least she has somewhere comfortable to go.
I'm contacting the amis de chats today to see if they will take her until her kittens are born & weaned and then release her back to this area after she has been sterilised.
I'll let you know how we get on.
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm

My vet told me that cats often run away from "home" when pregnant, if their first litter was destroyed. If that's the case, she won't be going back there anymore. She also could have been kicked out when the people found out she was pregnant. I have never had an abandonné that was later claimed by anyone.

She's lucky to have you... Take care and yes, please share any news.  Anyone looking for a kitten?
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:59 pm

That might be the case then Myriam.
She eats three meals a day with us, so I don't think anyone else looks after her.
I've put a large plastic box lined with newspapers out under our terrace, at least she'll have somewhere to give birth if she needs it. Then, once she has the kittens, I'll try the cat charity and see if they will take them. We'll have her sterilized and let her stay where she is.
update ...
I contacted the nearest cat charity, but they said we were too far away and they couldn't help. The only hope now, is that when she has the kittens I can re-home them or hope the SPA will take them.
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Dont hold your breath with the spa ,this time of year they have so many kittens they cannot cope and sad to say they will be desroyed ,i know because i was in the same position 7 years ago which is why i ended up with 5 cats ,now down to four but love them and do the best for them ,if you have more than one kitten the vet may give you a discount .i had the mother cat and 5 kittens all done for 200 euros ,if you can just give them a shed or barn they dont eat a lot as they hunt and keep your property free of vermin ,good luck .
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for the update, Inkflow. Perhaps you can take pictures of the kittens when they're a few weeks old and get the mairie to make colour copies and hang them up in the local school, the mairie and the swimming pool, or other places where kids and their mothers go. Also post the pictures on the forum here, you never know.

The mother cat is very lucky to have found you and will give you lots of love when she has had her kittens and all is well. Your good deed will be rewarded somehow, I'm sure  Very Happy .
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm

SPA Limoges do not take cats/kittens. They did put me in touch with a rehoming centre near Gueret, but they are often unable to deal with the numbers they get.

My last kitten, over two years ago was an abandonne, bit shy, very hungry but in need of human contact. Turned into the friendliest, most affectionate cat I have ever had. A beautiful boy who I would not be without.  Smile Good mouser too.
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 pm

cat Very Happy cat Very Happy    Laughing

Best thing against stress and they give you so much love !

Sorry, I'am a mad cat lover, it keeps me sain.
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:50 am

I think you are right Myriam. She disappeared for 24 hours and returned obviously not pregnant any more. I don't think she would have left her kittens so soon, and she has been crying and searching everywhere for them. She will only be consoled by curling up in my lap. It seems so cruel that someone could just take them away from her like that.
I'm going to try and find her the caring and loving home that she deserves.

Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next