Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Au Vermillon. Limoges

Go down

Au Vermillon. Limoges Empty Au Vermillon. Limoges

Post by Le-Dolly Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:16 am

We dropped in here for lunch on Friday (11/4) and were a little disappointed, but probably should not have been. Indian cuisine in France seems to be a lost art, maybe it is because before moving here we were spoiled for choice with flavours and quality in the UK. After having spent some considerable time in the former French colonies of Indo China and Southern India, I had hoped for a little more in the spice/flavour stakes. We opted for this establishment due to oft heard recommendations.
Whilst the plates offered were generally acceptable, they lacked a bit in flavour and particularly spice. I had a starter of Lamb Samosas which seemed to be wrapped in a regular type of pastry, not the brick style that I was accustomed to. They were well filled and tasty, just a little strange. My OH started with a selection of Bhaji's, Onion, Potato & Aubergine, again very tasty with the pickles and Riata, but also of a texture that was previously unknown to us. To follow, I had a Beef Vindaloo which was labelled on the menu as 'tres piment', perhaps it was to the French clientèle, but personally I found that it was barely above a medium 'heat'. In fact I have had much spicier Jalfrezi's. But it was well cooked and the beef was tender. My dining companion ordered a Chicken Tikka Masala which again was a little short on taste, and particularly salty, but well presented with a good portion of tender chicken.
With a couple of drinks our bill was under 35€, we could have taken a choice from the 'menu's' available including a lunchtime special at 12.50€.
This restaurant did seem to be popular with local French diners and has been described elsewhere as “Le meilleur resto indien de Limoges !” which I find a little disconcerting. If you want to experience Indian food, this establishment may be OK as a starter 'lesson', but for the cognoscenti, this may not be the place for you.

Restaurant Name: Au Vermillon
Location (website if they have it): http://www.au-vermillon.com/
Visited Date: April '14
Menu Style (veggie option available): Indian/Sri Lankan
Approx Cost: Lunch menu's start from 8€
Ambiance: OK
Overall score: 3/5
Key features: ?
Opening Hours: Lundi soir de 18h30 - 22h30
Mardi au Samedi de 11h30 - 14h00 et de 18h30 - 22h30
Recommend for (families children under 5 etc): Don't know, have neither, but probably.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

http://www.pink-electrique.fr

Back to top Go down