Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Independence for Scotland?

+7
Inkflo
Amber
Tony H
axelwhite
peirol
ARKWRIGHT
tocyvi
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Independence for Scotland? - Page 2 Empty Re: Independence for Scotland?

Post by redburmese Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Not suprised Rolling Eyes
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:11 am

Isn't it a pity that Cameron has had to go and spoil it all within 24 hours it all by throwing in an apparently urgent need to settle the voting issue of Scottish MPs on English matters in the commons.

This issue has been outstanding since 1977 since when little appears to have been done to resolve it; the reason being, I suspect, that it's massively complicated and probably far too complicated to shoehorn into the devolvement of additional powers to Scotland. If it is then it seems unlikely to me that the promises made during the referendum campaign will ever be met.

The issue certainly needs to be addressed but Cameron's toadying to disaffected conservative backbenchers and populist media should be seen for what it is - a shameful act of party politics - rather than an act of honour towards the Scottish people who voted to remain part of the Union.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by peirol Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:31 am

X

Last edited by peirol on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

peirol

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:57 am

redburmese wrote:Not suprised Rolling Eyes

About what, RB?
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:52 pm

peirol wrote:In fact, the answer is obvious: of course the Scottish MPs should not vote on uniquely English matters. I don't think the issue itself is complicated.
The issue is indeed simple but the resolution is complex and if done as a knee-jerk reaction to Scottish devolution (i.e. not thought through properly) could have all sorts of unintended consequences. For a start identifying which issues are uniquely English is probably easy enough if you're Nigel Farage but in the real world it's much harder. It could also lead to a situation where, for example, we could never have a Scottish MP as cabinet minister or prime-minister, or indeed where Scottish MPs might perceive their future careers would be best served in Holyrood rather than Westminster.

But the real issue here is that none of this was even mentioned in the run up to the referendum vote but in his first public comment after the result was announced Cameron suddenly throws the so-called West Lothian question into the mix so making the promises made to the Scottish people during the referendum much less likely to be delivered in the promised timescales. That is what is shameful.

That's democracy for you!
Actually it's self-serving party politics. Not quite the same thing.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by arthur johnstone Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:03 pm

As a Scot (proud of it and only support one football team..work it out LOL), proud to be British and European and spend a lot of time here in France and love it....that question about the future of the UK has become even more important with the next election for a UK government.

How can a group of people lose the vote and then come back to peddle the same re worked "myths" and say that by voting for them again is good for the UK?

I post this in a friendly manner..in the hope to encourage people in the UK to understand the importance of a Union that has stood the test of time and that i still fell proud of my country, culture, language etc yet see the future as being better together rather that promoting narrow nationalism.... yes there are wide links to what is happening in France and many other European countries. It is always good to discuss.

arthur johnstone

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:36 pm

arthur johnstone wrote:It is always good to discuss.
Not a lot of that going on here I'm afraid Smile

I assume by "people who lose the vote" you mean the SNP. They lost by a margin of 10% so it wasn't exactly a landslide victory for the "in" campaign so it's little wonder they feel they may have lost a battle but not the war. On top of that Alex Salmond came out of it very well and there's no doubt that Nicola Sturgeon is a force to be reckoned with.

To me it shows up a certain danger of holding referenda where the result is likely to be close. The winners will only have won until the losers ratchet up their campaign. Tony Blair (spit!) is certainly right when he says that the threat of a UK referendum on membership of the EU would devastate the UK whatever the result. If the UK votes narrowly to stay in then the "outers" won't let the thing rest. If the "outers" win then I would suggest that any resultant euphoria would quickly dissipate as the UK goes into economic and (in my view more importantly) political free-fall. Whilst you can understand the simplicity of "let the people decide", the fallout, whatever the result, will destabilise the UK for many years to come.

Of course the irony of all this is that the SNP, who still want independence for Scotland, may find themselves in a position of propping up a Labour government which wants Scotland to remain part of the UK. Both want to remain in the EU so I wonder what sort of horse-trading is likely to take place between the two parties.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum