Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Government to hit ex-pats again

4 posters

Go down

UK Government to hit ex-pats again Empty UK Government to hit ex-pats again

Post by tocyvi Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 am

The Connexion newspaper (amongst others) is highlighting yet another cost-cutting exercise which will hit ex-pats.

"IN ANOTHER cost-cutting move affecting expats (after ending the winter fuel payment in France and temporary S1 health forms), the UK government is looking at removing their right to benefit from the UK personal income tax allowance of £10,000 (£10,500 from next April). A consultation document has been released, with responses invited until October 3"

The "consultation" document can be read via the attached link

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/restricting-non-residents-entitlement-to-the-uk-personal-allowance/restricting-non-residents-entitlement-to-the-uk-personal-allowance

Call me Mr Cynical, but in my view when governments of any hue suggest that they're consulting, you can bet your last farthing that it's going to go ahead anyway.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

UK Government to hit ex-pats again Empty Re: UK Government to hit ex-pats again

Post by twointheeye Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Read it but so much waffle & bureaucratic govspeak, gave up trying to make sense of all of it. Seems to be aimed at 'foreigners' who work in the UK and supposedly pay less tax than in their own country.

Isn't there an election next year? Nothing will be done until after that, and we all know the unpleasant possibilities that could occur after that if the Great British Public is whipped up to a xenophobic frenzy by the press over the EU.

twointheeye

Back to top Go down

Post by peirol Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:31 am

As far as I can understand it, the change will mainly affect those of us who are tax resident in France but do not pay French taxes because they are below the threshold and only pay UK tax because, for instance, they receive a UK government or armed forces pension and this is their only income. It looks like they may lose their tax allowance.

But for most households, who are either earning in France, or paying French tax on a private sector UK pension or paying French tax on state retirement pensions, it should not make a difference because the additional tax paid to the UK through losing the personal allowance will be deducted from your French tax bill, due to the double taxation treaty.

Anyone who is tax resident here and planning to stay to the end of their days should, in my view, worry far more about inheritance tax, which is swingeing in France if you have property and no, or just one or two, children. And due to the gift tax of 40%, you cannot even give your assets away to your children before you die (as you can in Britain).

I think you're right tocyvi, consultation is a smokescreen, the Government will do whatever it wants in the end!

peirol

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the clarification, Peirol. I think I may have misunderstood it. I spent about half an hour trying to get my head around it but obviously came to the wrong conclusion.

Stop Press:
I have just received a message from HM Government stating that your succinct précis is most unhelpful as it ensures people will understand its documentation. The communiqué goes on to state "It is the duty of HM Government to ensure that its aim of deliberate obfuscation will not be undermined by plain speaking agitators"
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by peirol Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:40 am

Smile   ....but seriously, don't rely too much on my interpretation - other (and I'm sure better) tax advisers are available!

peirol

Back to top Go down

UK Government to hit ex-pats again Empty preposed tax changes

Post by simmo Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:01 am

Hi folks
I have just read the above posts and the goverment preposels, i have to say its sounds as if they are talking about folks who do not pay tax at all or less tax in france. Those like myself and my better half who pay full UK tax on our military,goverment,NHS and state pensions ie already pay our way in full,will not be effected. Mind you with this goverments double speak i could well be wrong, the paper leaves alot to be desired in a simple and clear statement terms.What say you folk.
Simmo in the big C.

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum