'Windows' Phone Scam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'Windows' Phone Scam

Post by Amber on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:01 am

I've had (another) call regarding the Windows Phone Scam which still seems to be going strong - so just in case there is anyone who doesn't know about it I thought I'd warn you. Don't be fooled if you get a phone call saying they are calling from Windows Technical Support and warning you that you have problems with your computer, it's a scam. This article will explain more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Windows' Phone Scam

Post by Jellybelly on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:34 am

I've also has 2 calls from these scumbags. The first quite some time ago where a man with a very strong Indian accent gave a very English sounding name, I was very wary & got rid of him & then called Microsoft who confirmed it was a scam. The 2nd call was a few days ago, he said he was calling from Microsoft because my computer was sending lots of error messages. I told him that there was no way he was calling from Microsoft, that Microsoft would not call anyone in this way & that he was a fraud & hung up.
I know an older English lady who lives nearby who was unfortunately caught out by them & lost a lot of money.
Jellybelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tofu_Lover on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

I'm still waiting for a call from them - I intend to have some fun with them, and waste a bit of their time.

But I do know two people who have been hooked by this, both, erm... getting on a bit. One was sufficiently alarmed by the caller to give over her Credit Card details. Fortunately she realised in time that something fishy might be happening, and stopped the card, only to receive a call back from the supposed Microsoft agent saying that they were unable to take their fee, and could she try again! I spent a few hours sorting her machine out - she had allowed them remote access to her laptop. Rolling Eyes 

Be aware that these people are also claiming to be from Google, and asking for your login details. Unbelievably, the same person who was nearly scammed re. the 'Microsoft' agent also fell for this one. silent
Tofu_Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Unfortunately, once you've given them remote access to your computer they can do what they like with it Evil or Very Mad 

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum