quenelles?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

quenelles?

Post by lady of leisure on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:13 am

Can anyone shed any light on what these are   my French neighbour tried to explain but was very vague.
the full title is  Quenelles Lyonnaises de Sandre au coulis d'Ecrevisses..thanks
lady of leisure

Back to top Go down

Re: quenelles?

Post by Richard T on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Strictly quennelles are small oval shaped dumplings made of fish or chicken or some vegetarian equivalent. But I think that mostly the term is used these days to refer to any spoon-sized oval-shaped food item, perhaps made from fish, meat, potato or even ice cream. In other words it's the shape rather than the content.

You make them by scooping your content onto a spoon and with a second spoon you shape it by passing it from spoon to spoon.

It should look something like this:

Your neighbour's quenelles sounds like they might be a pre-packed product of something fishy (perch perhaps) in a crayfish sauce. Whatever, they will have the characteristic quenelle shape.

Richard

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Quenelles Lyonnaises de Sandre au coulis d'Ecrevisses is as it states, quenelles (previously described) of Pike-Perch (Lucioperca Lucioperca) and a sauce made from fresh water crayfish, although a lot of people cheat and use the salt water version as they are easier to source. Traditionally the sauce should be Beurre d'Ecrevisses. I don't want to upset anybody, but this dish can be bought in a can.
Le-Dolly

http://www.pink-electrique.fr

Back to top Go down

thank you

Post by lady of leisure on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Many thanks to you both a lot clearer now Smile 
lady of leisure

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down