Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TCF language test

3 posters

Go down

TCF language test Empty TCF language test

Post by BLAKEVINE Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:13 pm

I am getting information together to go and do the TCF language test in Limoges. I shall not be making an appointment until I have familiarised myself with the types of questions asked (which can be found online). But, more importantly, I have read that it is not so much what you are being tested on, but, the style and, indeed, format of the day which can come as a surprise. Basically, I want to reduce the number of surprises so I was wondering if anyone on the Forum has completed, hopefully successfully, the test as part of their application for French nationality? I would be interested to know please?

I shall be posting something linked to this in the General Info section on the Forum.

Thank you.
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

TCF language test Empty Re: TCF language test

Post by Aethelberht Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

....and in addition to my posting on the General forum, I'm over 60 so do not need to take a language test (one of the few benefits of old age!). However, I will have to be able to cope with the final interview in French (including questions on French culture), so I wonder if anyone has experienced such an interview and can give me an idea as to the level required?
Aethelberht
Aethelberht

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Out of interest I completed a TCF language test yesterday (November 2017) and although they claim you should pass if your level of French is B1+, I found the test not that easy. My level of French is C1 and I achieved 80% in Oral, 80% in Language Comprehension and 87% in the last part (Written Comprehension I think it was). The various TCF tests on site can prepare you though, I think. It may also be possible that one can pass with an average of 50 or 60%, but I couldn't find this information.

http://apprendre.tv5monde.com/fr/apprendre-francais/accueil-tcf

How did you find the TCF test, Blakevine?
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelberht Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I looked briefly at the TCF site. The exams are for Nationality or Tout Public and the online test is for the latter I think. The Nat exam is purely oral. Your percentage score should be translated into a grade and I would have thought 80% was easy C1! I reckon 50% would be B1 but that is a guess. It would be useful to find a site with tests purely for the Nat exam, but it is still the final interview which is my concern. I hope B1 level would be ok for that!
Aethelberht
Aethelberht

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Can't help you there I am afraid, but to advise you to grab every opportunity to speak and listen to French people and listen to the French radio, Bleu Limousin in my case, and I repeat all the words and phrases I do no know and look them up if I'm not driving my car at that particular moment. Don't know where you are, but there are French classes held every Tuesday in St. privat/Servières le Château, including conversation.
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:42 pm

just found this: http://www.ciep.fr/en/tcf-anf

It states that holders of DELF B1 certificates are exempt?
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelberht Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Interested in those classes! Do you have any info? I’m about 30 mins drive from St Privat.
Aethelberht
Aethelberht

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 pm

I've sent you a private message with details.
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:32 pm

So you are the king of Kent? Wink
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Myriam! I have just done the November test and my scores were 60%, 70% and 47% respectively. The TCF Nationality is 30 minutes oral comprehension so at that rate I would have achieved a sufficient score to ‘pass’.

I shall carry on looking for examples of the Test to try and get a more accurate idea of where I am in relation to the Nationality test.
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelberht Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for the details re St Privat lessons Myriam. And yes, I name myself after the Anglo Saxon king of Kent who issued the first set of written laws in Britain, and the first laws in Europe in the vernacular (i.e., not in Latin). Also the first to be converted to Christianity, but I confess I am more interested in the law bit as it was the basis of my PhD thesis! Start me off on Anglo Saxon history and you’ll never hear the end of it....
Aethelberht
Aethelberht

Back to top Go down

Post by Aethelberht Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

BLAKEVINE wrote:Hi Myriam!  I have just done the November test and my scores were 60%, 70% and 47% respectively.  The TCF Nationality is 30 minutes oral comprehension so at that rate I would have achieved a sufficient score to ‘pass’.

I shall carry on looking for examples of the Test to try and get a more accurate idea of where I am in relation to the Nationality test.

I’ll have a shot at these BLAKEVINE, but I’ll only post my results if they’re not TOO embarrassing!
Aethelberht
Aethelberht

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am

Update from me. I have done a couple more tests on line now and my scores are coming out at B1/B2 level. I have also bought a booklet online which comes with a DVD and cd; very interesting! Again, my level having done the “practice” test was B1/B2. More importantly, I have also spoken to one of the institutions and sent off my demande for an appointment for the test...eeeeeeeekk! We’ll see what happens; I have everything crossed!
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

UPDATE! For those of us who were in the Girl guides, take note of the motto, expect the unexpected. I am delighted to report that I took the two language examinations (compréhension orale and expression orale) on 25 April and have just had my Attestation confirming that I have achieved the B1 level, which is what you need to progress to compile your dossier for obtaining french nationality.

Take note those of you who want to go forward and do the same as the examinations are not what you expect; indeed, this is what I had read and could find out little or no info. That said, I coped admirably, despite being poorly on the day, so I am very proud of myself!

onward and upward!
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Congratulations, Blakevine.

Maybe you can give some tips to other members of the forum as to what they can expect?
Myriam
Myriam

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Wed May 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Thank you, Myriam. Normally, I would provide tips, but, seeing as I could spend quite a lot of time explaining things and only 3 of us have engaged in this thread then I will wait to see if anyone is genuinely bothered! One of the 3 is my husband by the way! All the best! K
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum