Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric ovens -- power rating

4 posters

Go down

Electric ovens -- power rating Empty Electric ovens -- power rating

Post by twointheeye Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:11 pm

Mrs Two wants a new cooker, with electric oven and gas hob. The old gas oven only has two modes - burnt or uncooked!
The question is, what is the typical power rating for such a beast, in kilowatts?  Can it be plugged in to an ordinary socket or does it need its own connection at the fuse box?

twointheeye

Back to top Go down

Electric ovens -- power rating Empty Re: Electric ovens -- power rating

Post by er indoors Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I know that our French electric oven has it's own fuse, and before we changed our power rating into the house (can't remember the technical term) but our electric was always tripping off, especially on a Sunday with the oven, microwave, electric kettles, electric radiators, etc but as soon as we increased it it has been sorted. Will as OH when he gets in about wattage, etc & get back to you

er indoors

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:54 pm

twointheeye wrote:Mrs Two wants a new cooker, with electric oven and gas hob. The old gas oven only has two modes - burnt or uncooked!
The question is, what is the typical power rating for such a beast, in kilowatts?  Can it be plugged in to an ordinary socket or does it need its own connection at the fuse box?

I do not know if there is such a thing as a 'typical power rating', the majority of standalone/built-in electric ovens, not cookers, run in between 3.4kW & 3.7kW. Therefore it is permissible to plug them into a regular socket that is fed, ideally on it's own circuit, from a 20A disjonteur through 2.5mm² cable . It is not good practice, but the oven could be run from on a normal shared circuit, but as it is in a kitchen, it would normally be sharing the said circuit with the kettle, micro-wave and any other number of appliances, that is when cut outs will possibly happen. If we are talking about combined cookers (ovens & electric hobs) they must be run with 6mm² cable and require the use of a 32A disjonteur, as must electric solo hobs. If you are in receipt of a three phase supply, remember that it is important to balance your consumer unit to equalise it's output.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

http://www.pink-electrique.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by er indoors Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am

Our oven is on a plug, into a socket, on a completely separate fuse on it's own circuit. It was when we only had 6 amp supply into the house & we were asking too much of it, that it cut out, I would always have to turn something off before it would come back on. We now have a 9 amp supply & have no problems with that at all.
Our oven wattage is 220-230 & is fan assisted, an Indesit one purchased here, hth

er indoors

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 am

er indoors wrote:Our oven is on a plug, into a socket, on a completely separate fuse on it's own circuit. It was when we only had 6 amp supply into the house & we were asking too much of it, that it cut out, I would always have to turn something off before it would come back on. We now have a 9 amp supply & have no problems with that at all.
Our oven wattage is 220-230 & is fan assisted, an Indesit one purchased here, hth

I do not know where you have got some of your information from, but with respect, I think that you are mistaken.  Smile 
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

er indoors wrote:Our oven is on a plug, into a socket, on a completely separate fuse on it's own circuit. It was when we only had 6 amp supply into the house & we were asking too much of it, that it cut out, I would always have to turn something off before it would come back on. We now have a 9 amp supply & have no problems with that at all.

I think you have mistaken the required voltage( 220-230v) for the power required in watts.

I am far from an expert but a normal 2.5mm cable and socket will take around 4.3kw ... as Le-Dolly said, ideally on its own separate circuit. I would imagine that most electric oven/gas hob combination cookers bought in France would be acceptable on such a circuit as the oven would take around 2.5kw and the grill slightly less, but unless it has a totally separate grill, they would not be on together.

Hope that helps Mr. Two
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by twointheeye Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks to everyone. We're looking in the sales for a gas hob with electric fan assist oven. Hopefully with a decent grill. We will get the experts in to sort the electrics as there's a few other issues to sort as well.
Mr Two has his theoretical physics degree and understands the free flow of electrons in a conducting medium but the silly old fool is just as likely to wire the lot to the gas bottle and blow up the village!
Re. the purchase - where's the best place in or around La Souterraine? Carrefour/Leclerc, or the Pulsat place opposite the vets? We don't know anywhere else...?

twointheeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:54 pm

twointheeye wrote:Thanks to everyone. We're looking in the sales for a gas hob with electric fan assist oven. Hopefully with a decent grill.  We will get the experts in to sort the electrics as there's a few other issues to sort as well.
Mr Two has his theoretical physics degree and understands the free flow of electrons in a conducting medium but the silly old fool is just as likely to wire the lot to the gas bottle and blow up the village!
Re. the purchase - where's the best place in or around La Souterraine?  Carrefour/Leclerc, or the Pulsat place opposite the vets? We don't know anywhere else...?

Quite honestly I don't think there is much between them. But you may be able to get a better deal at either Pulsat or the shop, Gitem? (longer guarantee), opposite Aldi. Personally I would try and identify the model/s you are interested in and then look/buy via the interweb. http://www.ubaldi.com/accueil/ had some good offers last week when I was buying.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

Back to top Go down

Post by er indoors Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Le-Dolly wrote:

I do not know where you have got some of your information from, but with respect, I think that you are mistaken.  Smile 

So what have I got wrong???

er indoors

Back to top Go down

Post by er indoors Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm

twointheeye wrote:Thanks to everyone. We're looking in the sales for a gas hob with electric fan assist oven. Hopefully with a decent grill.  We will get the experts in to sort the electrics as there's a few other issues to sort as well.
Re. the purchase - where's the best place in or around La Souterraine?  Carrefour/Leclerc, or the Pulsat place opposite the vets? We don't know anywhere else...?

Try Conforama in Limoges or Chateauroux, we have always got our best deals there.

er indoors

Back to top Go down

Post by er indoors Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:51 pm

[quote="Tony H]
I think you have mistaken the required voltage( 220-230v) for the power required in watts.

I am far from an expert but a normal 2.5mm cable and socket will take around 4.3kw ... as Le-Dolly said, ideally on its own separate circuit. I would imagine that most electric oven/gas hob combination cookers bought in France would be acceptable on such a circuit as the oven would take around 2.5kw and the grill slightly less, but unless it has a totally separate grill, they would not be on together.

[/quote]

Yes, sorry I did get mixed up with the voltage & wattage but, yes, our oven is on a completely separate circuit.

er indoors

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm

er indoors wrote:
Le-Dolly wrote:

So what have I got wrong???

I imagine that you have worked it out now.  Smile W vs V, you may also like to check your incoming figures of 6 amp & 9 amp. Might it be presumed that you mean 6kVA & 9kVA. 9 amp will barely run a kettle, let alone the whole house.  Laughing
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down