Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The European Elections

+6
Alpen
arthur johnstone
Myriam
DC
Frankie
tocyvi
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The European Elections - Page 2 Empty Re: The European Elections

Post by Myriam Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:32 pm

Well, we live very rural, in a village be it. Now there, I think, one can only integrate and one should earn some respecy from the neighbours, as is normal. I have lived in 5 countries and it's the same anywhere: by being who you are, you gain respect, whether you are black, white, yellow or green.

And anyone who does not agree with me can look forward to a good debate  Wink . An then there are people whom I have no time for whatsoever...
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi Myriam

Sorry, but I don't understand what that's got to do with the potential impact of the UK leaving the EU.

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:17 am

Hi Richard
I think it is highly likely that the pension increases would be stopped in the event that the UK seceded from Europe. If the government's stand on Winter Fuel Allowance is anything to go by, this would happen very quickly. As you suggest above, there is no reason why ex-pats living in France would be treated differently to any other ex-pats living outside of Europe. You don't get the increases if you live in Australia, so the Government isn't going to be accused of having double standards by allowing them to ex-pats in France.

The position concerning healthcare is anybody's guess, but in view of Le Pen's attitude to incomers, she will hardly be standing at the hospital gates with a "get out of jail free" card. The easiest way for a Government to discourage immigrants (short of an outright ban) is to cease any form of financial aid or assistance i.e. healthcare, child support, unemployment benefits, access to any advice systems and so on. It wouldn't be difficult to simply pull up the drawbridge if that is what the French want. I wonder what is the French equivalent of the tall, blond, blue-eyed youth of Hitler's Germany?
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 pm

I may be wrong, but it always seems to me that people vote very differently in local or E.U. elections to the way they vote in a parliamentary election. I have yet to hear any definite policies from UKIP regarding anything other than leaving Europe; health, education, fiscal policies, defence, child care, pensions, what do they intend to do about such things?

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by lady of leisure Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:51 pm

The other night on question time , a member of the audience made this statement . He didn't understand why UKIP representatives stand in the European elections when they don't want to be part of the European Union . The same could also be said for the F N.!!!!
lady of leisure
lady of leisure

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:42 am

I should imagine they do it to enable them to have a pop at the EU from within and probably the very substantial remuneration. Out of interest I researched what an MEP is entitled to.....below figures all in euros.

96,246 annual salary

304 per day = 45,600 p.a. susbsistence allowance (based on signing in for 150 days).. this is for food and hotel bills etc and is paid regardless of actual bills

51,588 office expenses p.a.

254,508 p.a. for staff

on top of that they each get

All first or business class travel reimbursed for any travel related to their position.. e.g to or from home country to the parliament, research trips etc. jollies etc

4243 for travel outside the EU... no restrictions... holiday ????

66% of all medical costs incurred... no questions asked.

3.5 % of annual salary into a pension pot without any contribution from the MEP

and finally... to help them get readjusted to real life if they fail to get elected for a second time, another 47,000.. just for losing an election.

Not a bad deal for not doing much and actually being against the organisation that is paying them !!!
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I think I'll stand at the next E.U. elections! geek 

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:05 am

In case anyone is any doubt about Farage's political leanings and sympathies, you may wish to read this from the Guardian this morning:

"Nigel Farage has joined forces in the European parliament with a Swedish party that was founded by white supremacists, including a former member of the Waffen SS. In an apparent change of tack, after he pledged to avoid parties on the far right, the Ukip leader also invited a French MEP who was elected for Marine Le Pen's Front National last month to join his pan-European group in the parliament."

Somehow, I can't see myself standing in the local bar laughing heartily, back-slapping and quaffing beer with this type of company.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2