Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh! for some rain

+7
Tofu_Lover
simmo
Tony H
noodles
Inkflo
Tradzoner
tocyvi
11 posters

Go down

Oh! for some rain Empty Oh! for some rain

Post by tocyvi Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 pm

It may seem churlish, but I really would like a good steady downpour (through the night, of course, so it doesn't interfere with the gardening). Already the grass is starting to go brown, something I hate to see, and I spent a good hour this evening watering. Despite the really wet spring and early summer, the ground is quite dry and the fruit and veg are starting to wilt.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Oh! for some rain Empty Re: Oh! for some rain

Post by Tradzoner Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 am

Laughing I dont want a downpour in the night. Its the Festival at Chateau D'Ars and each night we are there till around 3am, so I dont want to get wet, makes the dance floor slippery apart from feeling uncomfortable. Perhaps next week but not the weekend because its Gas du Berry Fest. You can have it in your area if you want but not near La Chatre tongue 
Tradzoner
Tradzoner

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 am

Tradzoner wrote:Its the Festival at Chateau D'Ars and each night we are there till around 3am, so I dont want to get wet, makes the dance floor slippery apart from feeling uncomfortable.

Hi Tradzoner. Yes, I can imagine that going Ars over tip would be uncomfortable
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Oh! for some rain Empty Some rain ...

Post by Inkflo Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:48 pm

tocyvi wrote:It may seem churlish, but I really would like a good steady downpour (through the night, of course, so it doesn't interfere with the gardening). Already the grass is starting to go brown, something I hate to see, and I spent a good hour this evening watering. Despite the really wet spring and early summer, the ground is quite dry and the fruit and veg are starting to wilt.

I'm with you, the watering is a nightmare at the moment. There's not a drop of rain forecast for the Haute Vienne for at least the next ten days. Sad 
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:46 pm

\"tocyvi wrote:

Hi Tradzoner. Yes, I can imagine that going Ars over tip would be uncomfortable

lol! Well it stayed dry so I didn't fall on my Ars and had a bloody good time. Food was excellent and managed several galettes d'escargots in addition to having fun listening and dancing to all the groups/boeufs etc. Topped up by more partying at St Chartier to finish the weekend off. drunken 

You may get your wish for a little rain over the next two days and I wont mind, no outdoor fests for me until the 27th.
Tradzoner
Tradzoner

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Tradzoner wrote:You may get your wish for a little rain over the next two days and I wont mind, no outdoor fests for me until the 27th.

The grass is going brown; the shrubs are wilting; the veggie plot is a dustbowl; the polytunnel is like a sauna...... "où sont les pluies d'antan?"
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by noodles Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:07 am

Looks like there might be a couple of localised downpours in Correze over the next couple of days, with a yellow storm alert in place

http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Accueil
noodles
noodles

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 am

Seems such a short time ago that we were all complaining about the rain, grey skies and lack of sun.

I am not a great garden waterer but with no rain of any sort for the last two or more weeks and the temps so high there is no choice, especially as my plot is in full sun most of the day. Fortunately I only have about a dozen pots/baskets of flowers so that is not too much of a task.

Still... summer has arrived so lets all enjoy.
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 am

Tony H wrote:Seems such a short time ago that we were all complaining about the rain, grey skies and lack of sun.

An essential ingredient of being a gardener (and English, to boot) is that it gives you the authority to complain about the weather, no matter what it does.Wink 

Tony H wrote:summer has arrived so lets all enjoy.

For me, summer is incomplete without the garden; there is always something to do, be that in the vegetable garden, the fruit, the shrubs, the flowers, the lawn or the woodland. I would be at a complete loss to discover, one morning, that there was nothing left to do.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:43 am

tocyvi wrote:
Tony H wrote:Seems such a short time ago that we were all complaining about the rain, grey skies and lack of sun.

An essential ingredient of being a gardener (and English, to boot) is that it gives you the authority to complain about the weather, no matter what it does.Wink 

Like it.. and so true

Tony H wrote:summer has arrived so lets all enjoy.

For me, summer is incomplete without the garden; there is always something to do, be that in the vegetable garden, the fruit, the shrubs, the flowers, the lawn or the woodland. I would be at a complete loss to discover, one morning, that there was nothing left to do.

You are right there is always something to do.. especially weeding. Why is it that the heat and lack of water slows down the veggies but not the weeds
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

Yep we could do with an overnight downpour as over the last three weeks we have used 700ltrs of water on the garden and poly tunnel and we are now down to our last barrel. I am trying to rig up a well pump as a back up as we speak.
Simmo in a very dry and hot correze

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradzoner Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:26 am

Did you get your rain in the Correze then? There was nothing worth mentioning in our part of the north Creuse. A friend down the road had a short downpour with a rumble of thunder but that was it.

Hope you get a shower or downpour today then!
Tradzoner
Tradzoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tofu_Lover Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:26 am

Here in the south of the Corrèze, we had scattered thunderstorms yesterday evening (including a very close lightning strike, which I heard fizz and pop), followed by a vague dampness for a few minutes. Just enough to make it too slippery to be out brushcutting on our 45 degree slope (otherwise known as the garden) this morning. Forecast is for more later...
Tofu_Lover
Tofu_Lover

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, don't know about the Creuse and Haute Vienne, but in this neck of the woods they are forcasting an awful lot of water on Thursday evening What a Face That should replenish your cuves in a couple of hours, Simmo.

Time to get those tomato plants covered Idea 

Btw: Mr. Bricolage in Argentat has a Gardenia (?) water pump on special offer for Euro 89,-. Just bought one and hubby is a happy bunny.

Must go now, the alarm clock goes at 6:30...
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am

Well her in west Creuse we have a little light rain this morning...not much, but the garden will be grateful.

Forecast from Saturday is a return to very hot again
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:10 pm

It rained for a couple of hours here in Bellac this morning, fortunately it has stopped now in time for my birthday party tomorrow :-)
The garden didn't benefit much, but as mentioned Thursday looks like we will all get a downpour!

Natalie

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:43 am

well folks
We are down to watering pots and containers only, as we wait for rain. I do not like having to us tap water, not because of the cost but we have an old water pumping system in our commune and with all the second home owners and visitors at this time of year the old girl (the pump)struggles to keep up with demand.
It looks like i'm going to have to get that well pump that i have been looking out for over the past 7 years as it's become a priority now.
Simmo in the Correze.

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Folks
I've been Told on good authority that here in Chabanier in the Correze we are going to get some rain tonight. Then again folk have been telling me that for the last two weeks!. So i will belive it when me water butts are full again.
Simmo in the Correze.

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Here in west Creuse we had a rumbling storm, nothing close and not that much rain. It was almost evaporating as fast as it fell. Started about 4pm and now seems to have gone for now. I suppose every little helps
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 pm

It's got very dark here for the time of evening, a wind is blowing up, thunder is rumbling, there have been a few drops of rain and the T.V. satellite has frozen, hopefully we're in for a downpour!Smile 

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by jarvis Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 pm

out of ten about a 8
but the rain was 10
jarvis
jarvis

Back to top Go down

Post by jarvis Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 pm