Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

firewood ,desparate

+5
BLAKEVINE
Amber
Tony H
cheddar
redburmese
9 posters

Go down

firewood ,desparate Empty firewood ,desparate

Post by redburmese Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

Had wood from mairie ,for the first 2 years ok then crap and not cheap ,place at Bourganeuf does not now do sizes under 50 cm so i am told !!wood from Benevent l,Abbaye ,not too bad but not seasoned and needs 2 years to burn well again not cheap for unseasoned wood !!heard a place in St Dizier -Leyenne ok ,any advice much appreciated and whereabouts .
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

firewood ,desparate Empty Re: firewood ,desparate

Post by cheddar Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:17 pm

You need to plan ahead redburmese. Dry firewood is available from all the bricos if you're that desperate. Expats are really funny!!

cheddar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

Hi Red.. I have bought from Benevent for the last two years and the wood was good quality, dry and burnt well. Perhaps you were just unlucky. At 51 euros a stere, cut to 33cm and delivered it is not the cheapest but not a bad price.

What is everyone else paying ??
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:59 pm

We pay 50€ a stere for seasoned oak, delivered but in 1 metre lengths.

Don't quite understand the gist or usefulness of Cheddar's reply scratch

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm

and here at (almost) au bout du monde we pay the same as last year....50euros a stere for a melange of seasoned oak, beech and birch. All cut into 50cm lengths for our poele a bois. Delivered by the same monsieur and his mate for cash "when we are next passing his place". Just one more thing I love about living here. No rush to pay for what we have already had and he remembered us from last year. We are now able to converse with him and have also got him more customers so he is well happy and so are we.....
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 am

BLAKEVINE wrote:and here at (almost) au bout du monde we pay the same as last year....50euros a stere for a melange of seasoned oak, beech and birch.  All cut into 50cm lengths for our poele a bois.  Delivered by the same monsieur and his mate for cash "when we are next passing his place".  Just one more thing I love about living here.  No rush to pay for what we have already had and he remembered us from last year.  We are now able to converse with him and have also got him more customers so he is well happy and so are we.....

Hi Blakevine. I'd be a little wary about admitting to dealing in cash sales on a public forum for very obvious reasons!
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:13 am

whoops..................
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by pogo Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Im sure Blakevine paid in cash but received a facture, all above board, isnt that right, Blakevine? Laughing

Pogo

pogo

Back to top Go down

Post by cheddar Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 pm

BLAKEVINE wrote:and here at (almost) au bout du monde we pay the same as last year....50euros a stere for a melange of seasoned oak, beech and birch.  All cut into 50cm lengths for our poele a bois.  Delivered by the same monsieur and his mate for cash "when we are next passing his place".  Just one more thing I love about living here.  No rush to pay for what we have already had and he remembered us from last year.  We are now able to converse with him and have also got him more customers so he is well happy and so are we.....

Why the embarassing mix of English/French? Pay cash, it helps the worker and the consumer. You won't be controlled.

cheddar

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:47 pm

.....before you all get carried away......50 euros a stere cut to 50cm and delivered par camion (well, 4 camion actually) is a good deal I believe (considering where we are situated). Paying in cash in France is normal around our way and sorry for not stating the obvious (to me) about whether or not we got a facture!
Now, what was the question again? What did everyone else pay for their wood.....oh dear...you mean you haven't got it stock piled yet.....gracious....
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:57 pm

cheddar wrote:

Why the embarassing mix of English/French? Pay cash, it helps the worker and the consumer. You won't be controlled.

I have to say I find it difficult to understand some of your posts: What is embarrassing about the mix of English/French? How does paying cash help the worker and consumer? What is the significance of "You won't be controlled"? I may be demonstrating a degree of stupidity or ignorance but these statements are unfathomable to me.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Me too! scratch
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Getting back to original post ,i think most of the problem is wanting 30-33 cm long ,have now been given 2 names and phone numbers so into marie tomorrow to find out where they are as my french on the phone is not good ,face a face not too bad !!!
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by cheddar Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:42 pm

redburmese wrote:Getting back to original post ,i think most of the problem is wanting 30-33 cm long ,have now been given 2 names and phone numbers so into marie tomorrow to find out where they are as my french on the phone is not good ,face a face not too bad !!!

Getting back to the original question, so much effort to find firewood in 30cm when you could have all you want delivered within 48h??? Where's the problem?

cheddar

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:57 pm

Once again, Cheddar, you seem to delight in posting cryptic messages, or maybe I just don't understand what you are implying.

Amber

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm

cheddar wrote:You need to plan ahead redburmese. Dry firewood is available from all the bricos if you're that desperate. Expats are really funny!!
cheddar wrote:Why the embarassing mix of English/French? Pay cash, it helps the worker and the consumer. You won't be controlled.
cheddar wrote:Getting back to the original question, so much effort to find firewood in 30cm when you could have all you want delivered within 48h??? Where's the problem?
Your replies all seem to have the same hint of the supercilious. Can you explain what is “really funny” about expats? Can you explain what is embarrassing about mixing French & English? And finally, the “problem” was quite clearly set out in RB’s original post i.e. she is having difficulty sourcing good quality wood, cut to 30cm and at a reasonable price, so in answer to your question “Where’s the problem”, it has been clearly stated.
Your suggestion in an earlier post was:
cheddar wrote:You need to plan ahead redburmese. Dry firewood is available from all the bricos if you're that desperate.
I would make 2 comments: firstly I am certain that RB has lived in France long enough to be able to plan ahead. Secondly, I have never bought wood from any of the bricos but I will make a small bet that the price is substantially greater than any of the private suppliers. However, I am sure you are better informed than I so I will wait for your advice to RB as to the price per stère of 30cm wood, stored & dried for a minimum of 2 years and delivered to her door. That would be most helpful and I'm sure will answer her original query to her satisfaction
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by cheddar Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Supercillious (two 'l's tocyvi)...just really tired after many years here of expats who can't string enough language together to sort out basic mundane, everyday  life questions...like firewood, expats who talk loudly in English to folk who don't understand them...who stick to other expats...I'm tired of listening to the Brits being slagged off by the French...I really could continue but I'll just add etc,etc! Thanks for the entertainment!

cheddar

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 pm

cheddar wrote:Supercillious (two 'l's tocyvi)...just really tired after many years here of expats who can't string enough language together to sort out basic mundane, everyday  life questions...like firewood, expats who talk loudly in English to folk who don't understand them...who stick to other expats...I'm tired of listening to the Brits being slagged off by the French...I really could continue but I'll just add etc,etc! Thanks for the entertainment!
I have never before corrected anyone on this forum for mis-spelling but since you have erroneously taken me to task, I shall make an exception. The trouble with being supercilious is that it can easily come back to bite you. If you check in the OED (or any other dictionary, for that matter), you'll find that I'm correct in my spelling. Whilst searching in the dictionary, you may also like to search for the word “embarrassing”:
cheddar wrote:Why the embarassing mix of English/French?
However, to your remarks: I, and I suspect many other posters on here, will object most strongly to the fact that you seem to be grouping every ex-pat together in your (incorrect) assumption that we are all loud-mouthed, monolinguals who can’t even manage to undertake the barest essential duties without recourse to the phrasebook. This suggests (and I don’t think I’m too far off target) that you count yourself as being somewhat better equipped in your language skills and ability to integrate than most of the rest of us.

I hope you will see the rather curious irony of criticising other peoples’ foreign language skills whilst simultaneously wrongly correcting my own native language skills. I know several of the posters on this site, either personally, or by mutual friends and the vast majority have good language skills, play a significant part in the social, political and cultural life of France, contribute in many ways to the local and wider communities and are very well integrated into those same communities. It does you no credit to tar everyone with your false assumptions of Brits in France and I think you would do well to realise that.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:30 pm

cheddar wrote:Supercillious (two 'l's tocyvi)...just really tired after many years here of expats who can't string enough language together to sort out basic mundane, everyday  life questions...like firewood, expats who talk loudly in English to folk who don't understand them...who stick to other expats...I'm tired of listening to the Brits being slagged off by the French...I really could continue but I'll just add etc,etc! Thanks for the entertainment!

It seems slightly ironic that you have bothered to join this Anglo-French forum considering how you appear to perceive British expats and I'm curious to know where you are meeting all the French people who continuously slag off the British; I certainly haven't come across them in any of the areas we've lived.

Amber

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:51 pm

The good thing about this forum is that it is positive. Whether we can spell correctly in our own language or in French is either here nor there, as long as we can understand one another. Please let us all stay positive!

Going back to the op's question:
It's best to order in April for delivery in September and order too much, so that you build up a reserve. Even when the merchant sells the wood as well-seasoned, you will find that not all of it is dry enough. You then put this wood aside for the following year, and so on. You should be planning one year ahead.

We pay Euro 45,- for dry beech (oak is the same price) in 1m. lengths and delivered. We have been paying this price for the last three years. Our wood merchant does not take on new customers.

Demand is rising and so are the prices, so finding a good wood merchant is becoming more and more difficult.
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:12 am

Red, Did you ever source your firewood ?

I forgot about these people... huge woodyard who also do firewood.

Sequeira Jose Joachim ZI du Rigour, Bourganeuf 05 55 64 16 15
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi Tony .i think the woodyard you refer to is the big one in between audis and Bourganeuf ,if so only 50cm done now .We have ordered 2 cords from a chappie in St diz, 235 euro a cord the most i have ever paid [but we will see!!!]if we dont like the look of it when it comes he can take it back at that price !!
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down