Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courgettes

+3
Inkflo
noodles
edmoraz
7 posters

Go down

Courgettes Empty Courgettes

Post by edmoraz Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 am

Has anyone got any tasty recipes for the glut we have at the moment, OH is sick of the soup lol

edmoraz

Back to top Go down

Courgettes Empty Re: Courgettes

Post by noodles Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:53 am

Check this out I can recommend the glutney for using up all sorts of excess produce.
Courgette moussaka, Slow-cooked courgettes on toast, Courgette glutney.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/aug/11/features.weekend

Or how about http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/633634/chocolate-courgette-cake

THis is also an excellent recipe

Creamy Courgette Lasagne

9 dried lasagne sheets
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion , finely chopped
700g courgettes (about 6), coarsely grated
2 garlic cloves , crushed
250g tub ricotta
50g cheddar
350g jar tomato sauce for pasta

Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Put a pan of water on to boil, then cook the lasagne sheets for about 5 mins until softened, but not cooked through. Rinse in cold water, then drizzle with a little oil to stop them sticking together.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the onion. After 3 mins, add the courgettes and garlic and continue to fry until the courgette has softened and turned bright green. Stir in 2/3 of both the ricotta and the cheddar, then season to taste. Heat the tomato sauce in the microwave for 2 mins on High until hot.

In a large baking dish, layer up the lasagne, starting with half the courgette mix, then pasta, then tomato sauce. Repeat, top with blobs of the remaining ricotta, then scatter with the rest of the cheddar. Bake on the top shelf for about 10 mins until the pasta is tender and the cheese is golden.

Here is the link for where I found it if anyone wants to print the recipe
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4716/creamy-courgette-lasagne
noodles
noodles

Back to top Go down

Courgettes Empty thanks

Post by edmoraz Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for that noodles the chutney looks like a good one for the sneaky courgette that hides and you only find when its massive.Very Happy

edmoraz

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 am

Courtesy of Nikki Legon in Poiteau Charente.

Courgette pancakes accompanied by a feta cheese & tomato salsa.

serve 6
Pancake recipe ...

5 grated courgettes squeezed dry
2 large red chillies chopped finely
2 finely chopped red onions
2 tsp ground cumin
3 large eggs
200g self raising flour
salt & black pepper.

Pancake Method
Mix the courgette, spices, flour, onion and eggs together & season.
Heat a small amount of oil in a non stick frying pan.
Drop in a heaped tablespoonful of batter and cook for 2/3 mins each side.
(until golden & cooked through)
You can cook more than one at a time depending upon the size of your pan.

For the salsa ...
200g cherry tomatoes chopped small
150g crumbled feta cheese
6 finely chopped mint leaves
juice of a lemon
Mix all together and season.
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

The simple fact is most courgettes are virtually tasteless. In my opinion, they have nothing to recommend them and Le-Dolly's suggestion of putting the whole lot in the dustbin is probably the best advice I have ever read. I don't understand why people continue to grow them; would it not be better to grow something more useful in the first place than continually trying to conjure up methods of cooking them with other ingredients in order to make them interesting fare with some resemblance of flavour? I realise that they are easy to grow, give a bucket-load of stock, take very little looking after and grow quickly but on the debit side, they are uninteresting, take up a considerable amount of space and embarrass your friends and neighbours when you turn up with armfuls of (your) unwanted courgettes that they sneak onto the compost heap the second you've turned your back.

The European Parliament is currently trying to persuade us to switch to alternative vegetables and this work is being ably supported by several famous people including Albert Brocolli, Harry-Cot Bean, Tom A'to, Arty Choke, Victoria Plum, Al Falfa, Chick Pea and Col E Flower. This is surely one of the better Brussels initiatives.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Inkflo Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

tocyvi wrote:The simple fact is most courgettes are virtually tasteless. In my opinion, they have nothing to recommend them and Le-Dolly's suggestion of putting the whole lot in the dustbin is probably the best advice I have ever read. I don't understand why people continue to grow them; would it not be better to grow something more useful in the first place than continually trying to conjure up methods of cooking them with other ingredients in order to make them interesting fare with some resemblance of flavour? I realise that they are easy to grow, give a bucket-load of stock, take very little looking after and grow quickly but on the debit side, they are uninteresting, take up a considerable amount of space and embarrass your friends and neighbours when you turn up with armfuls of (your) unwanted courgettes that they sneak onto the compost heap the second you've turned your back.

The European Parliament is currently trying to persuade us to switch to alternative vegetables and this work is being ably supported by several famous people including Albert Brocolli, Harry-Cot Bean, Tom A'to, Arty Choke, Victoria Plum, Al Falfa, Chick Pea and Col E Flower. This is surely one of the better Brussels initiatives.

I'm going to report you to the NSPCC ... (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Courgettes)
Wink 
Inkflo
Inkflo

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 pm

tocyvi wrote:The simple fact is most courgettes are virtually tasteless. In my opinion, they have nothing to recommend them and Le-Dolly's suggestion of putting the whole lot in the dustbin is probably the best advice I have ever read. I don't understand why people continue to grow them; would it not be better to grow something more useful in the first place than continually trying to conjure up methods of cooking them with other ingredients in order to make them interesting fare with some resemblance of flavour? I realise that they are easy to grow, give a bucket-load of stock, take very little looking after and grow quickly but on the debit side, they are uninteresting, take up a considerable amount of space and embarrass your friends and neighbours when you turn up with armfuls of (your) unwanted courgettes that they sneak onto the compost heap the second you've turned your back.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Well done Tocyvi! For some reason my OH doesn't like courgettes, but likes marrows (Question I don't understand it either!) so stuffed marrow or sliced marrow with bolognaise sauce and grated cheese is popular!

Amber

http://www.worldwidedonkeys.info

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:57 am

Hi Folks
Slice them., sprinkle with spice and oil and bang on BBQ. Cook till soft bang on plate with rest of salad and meat job done!.
Simmo in the Correze.

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by redburmese Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:30 am

Have to agree with Tocyvi on this one Mad 
redburmese
redburmese

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content