Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open Gardens 2015

4 posters

Go down

Open Gardens 2015 Empty Open Gardens 2015

Post by tocyvi Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:16 am

The Open Gardens/Jardins Ouverts project which started in 2013 with 4 gardens in 1 département and raised 300€ has grown considerably in a very short space of time. The open weekend in 2014 (which took place on June 28/29) had 28 gardens in 4 départements and raised over 3,000€. The recipient in both cases was a French charity called A Chacun son Everest, an association which organises activities for children with, or in remission, from cancer or leukaemia.

We already have 55 gardens in 9 départements for 2015 and it is inevitable that this number will rise considerably over the next few months. Our target is to raise 5,000€ for the same charity as the last 2 years but as things progress, we expect to be in a position of being able to invite other charities to submit applications for financial assistance.

The system has also changed for next year. Instead of having just one open weekend, gardens will be open on variable dates throughout the year, which means that visitors will have much more flexibility in their viewing arrangements. All of this information will be published on the website which is currently being remodelled. An annual membership card will entitle holders to view any garden in 2015 on their opening dates and will cost 10€.

We are always on the hunt for helpers, new gardens, area co-ordinators or simply people who wish to sign up for the annual membership card. For more information on any aspect of Open Gardens/Jardins Ouverts, please contact Mick on 05 55 63 43 12 or e-mail mick@opengardens.eu
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Open Gardens 2015 Empty Re: Open Gardens 2015

Post by tocyvi Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 am

We are delighted to announce that in September 2015, the British Embassy will welcome Open Garden visitors to its gardens on the Journee du Patrimoine. The support of the Ambassador will greatly help the development of our project, particularly now that we have recruited the services of a co-ordinator, based in Paris, but whose area will cover the whole of the Ile-de-France.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard T Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Wow. That's fantastic. Congratulations.

Richard

Richard T

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks Richard. I have to admit to being a little bit excited myself!! Our target of having between 60 - 100 gardens is now looking really achievable and possibly exceeded. We had hoped to raise 5,000€ for the children's charity in 2015 but I am hopeful that we will exceed that as well.
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Mick, I've just been reading your bit in Connexion about the Open Gardens. What a fantastic thing you are doing and having the British Embassy on board must be quite an achievement - well done you. You did make me laugh when you described the creating of your garden and pond as something which took you "2 years and 2 hernias" to complete - or was it just the pond which took 2 years? I'm sure it was worth it. I notice that this Sunday (8 march) is the first Open Day - I believe excellent weather is forecast for the weekend - this should help encourage folks to turn out. We can't make Sunday's date, but, I'm looking forward to the next couple of dates in April and May and hope to come to your garden.
Best wishes. K.
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Thank you for your lovely comments. I was delighted when the Embassy gave us the thumbs-up. I have now had enquiries from Brittany and the Ariège which would be great if they go ahead as they would be 2 completely new areas. We also had some excellent news recently: we have been invited to have a free stand at the Journées des Plantes at the Chateau de Chantilly on May 15, 16 & 17. This is one of France's premier horticultural events and it is a real honour to be invited. Our target for this year is to raise 5,000€ for A Chacun son Everest and, if the project continues to grow and make more money, we will be seeking additional charities to support with effect from 2016.

For those interested, the new website is up and running www.opengardens.eu where you can see most of the gardens in all their glory.

I look forward to meeting you in our garden soon xx
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Tocyvi,

What a great initiative and how wonderful it is such a success!

As there are some of these gardens near our Bed & Breakfast in St. Martin la Méanne, south Correze, I wonder if there is already a leaflet available that I can show to people staying with us?

It may be an idea to start a Facebook page as well, as that really helps spreading the word.

So, which of all these gardens is yours?

Hoping numbers of visitors and participating gardens exceed your expectations !
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi Myriam
Things are starting to snowball now; we have signed up 3 new coordinators in the last 2 days! 2 of these are in the Lot-et-Garonne (47) & 1 near Confolens (16). This adds to the recent recruitment of a coordinator in the Ariège (09) and another in the Gers (32). I am hopeful that we have also attracted a coordinator in Basse-Normandie. We have also been given our own stand at the Journée des Plantes (May 15-17) in the grounds of the Château de Chantilly; this is one of France's premier horticultural events and is a great honour to have been invited.

I will certainly send you some leaflets, Myriam. Send me your address at mick@opengardens.eu and I'll put some in the post this week. If anyone in the Limousin, particularly the Corrèze or south Haute Vienne is interested in becoming a coordinator, I would love to hear from you. Send me an e-mail to the above address and I'll give you a call.

My garden is 1 La Combe 23300 Vareilles and will be open on May 10th, just in time to see over 2000 daffodils in flower.....if I've timed it right!! We've already had a flying start to the season - attendances at the first 2 gardens have exceeded expectations and early registrations are going well. You can join online - 10€ per person for the whole of 2015.

Our recently set up Facebook page is www.facebook.com/opengardensjardinsouverts

I've just realised my mistake: although my garden is open on May 10th, our daffodil open day is Sunday April 5th, so I hope to see you all here then. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by tocyvi on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong information.)
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Myriam Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:38 pm

You have 4 more "likes" on the FB site and 8 more of my friends have been invited. I've sent a mail with my address. Thanks!

Last edited by Myriam on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Myriam
Myriam

http://www.creuset-correze.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tocyvi Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:29 pm

Many thanks Myriam. Publicity is so important to us and it is due to the media in all its forms that we have managed to expand so quickly and so effectively. Local people who know and visit the Arboretum de la Sedelle can see us there on the weekend of May 9/10 or at Magnac Laval on Sunday April 12th. We are also at Les Printanieres in St Leger Bridereix on the 10th May (all of the owners/organisers have kindly given us a free stand).....and don't forget there are several gardens open on that Sunday as well !!!
tocyvi
tocyvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down