Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual SIM card phone?

3 posters

Go down

Dual SIM card phone? Empty Dual SIM card phone?

Post by BLAKEVINE Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm feeling a bit archaic with my 2 Samsung portables. I have one which I brought with me which is registered in the UK and I tend to use it if and when we go back over there. The other one is what I bought in France and is on a very cheap monthly contract which covers calls and texts I make here. I'm not sure why I continue paying the monthly rental for my "UK" phone and it is a job which has been put to the back of my mind as I've never quite felt in the mood for sorting it out. However, now is the time, and I'm thinking dual SIM phone as I keep reading letters in the press about how great this is for people who live and work in 2 different countries. So, are there any knowledgeable folks out there who might have a dual SIM phone (particularly a SAMSUNG) as I want to pick your brains as I haven't a clue where to start...........thanks in ant.
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Dual SIM card phone? Empty Re: Dual SIM card phone?

Post by Le-Dolly Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Good evening BLAKEVINE,
we use one dual SIM and one triple SIM 'phones for the reason stated but with the addition of a 'work' line. I cannot help you with the choice of SAMSUNG 'phones but a quick search on eBay will show up many from the reasonably priced to the other extent. That aside we find that they are very, very useful, usually when in the UK we would turn off the French SIM and the work SIM and the same would be the case in France, we turn off the UK SIM unless we are expecting a call from the bank etc. I don't think it is still a problem, thing have moved on, but always go for a 'phone that allows both SIM's to be active at the same time (dual stand-by), just in case. We too have a low cost monthly contract for use in France, 2€ with Free and a PAYG SIM from the UK. Remember that you can always close your contract in the UK and 'port' the number to a PAYG tarif.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

http://www.pink-electrique.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Thank you for your advice and tips Le-Dolly. I hope you don't mind me posing some more questions? My phone contract in the UK is with T-Mobile (it commenced before they got scooped up into EE). I believe that I can contact them and terminate my monthly contract, but, would I then be obliged to have a PAYG with them or can I just request to "port" the number and then select another UK PAYG provider? Does one keep the same SIM card or does the SIM become obsolete? I also think I would need to request to have the actual phone unblocked - not that I would use it - but it is a perfectly good phone and may come in handy. Sorry about this, but, you seem to know what you are talking about........
many thanks.
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Sorry about the delay in replying, busy at the millstone. As far as I remember, it was a while ago, when we wanted to port our numbers we did that with the new provider whilst setting up the new deal and  BEFORE we cancelled our contracts, otherwise we would not have had a number to move. I do remember that the NEW provider did all the work in moving the number, but you must make it plain that is what you want to do EARLY in the proceedings, whether on line as we did, or in person. As far as the SIM card was concerned, I cannot remember if we got new ones or not, but I do believe that new were sent out to us. Once you cancel your contract with T-Mobile/EE you are NOT obliged to take a PAYG with them IF your contract has run it's course.
Bon courage, Le-Dolly.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Thank you, Le-Dolly. Lots to think about....especially as we don't really go back to the UK very much (if at all) so I'll have to try and sort out the UK side from here and that begs the question as to whether a UK provider will send me a SIM to a "foreign" address....uhmmm?
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Dual SIM card phone? Empty duel sim phones

Post by simmo Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi folks simmo's back!
Just to say i have just bought a duel sim rugged mobile phone from the uk.I am now trying to find a PAYG sim card here in France any tips/advice would be most welcome. I am going to start with my local La Poste in the village, has anyone had any dealings with La Poste as regards the PAYG route?.
Regards Simmo

simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Le-Dolly Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:53 pm

I cannot recommend a PAYG SIM, but I would suggest that you may wish to look at the offer from Free.fr http://mobile.free.fr/ . At 2€ a month for 2 hours of yabber time to fixed lines, including the UK, and unlimited texts. In the couple of years that we have used the offer we have yet to overrun the 2hr limit. This offer is at no cost if you already subscribe to Free for your internet service.
Le-Dolly
Le-Dolly

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 am

...and it was all going so well.  I have kept my old UK mobile number, have my old phone unlocked and have a PAYG sim from 3.  I sorted this out in the UK and specifically asked if I could top it up online - to which the answer was yes - but at no point did I check that the credit card had to have a UK address......so that's worth noting.

I also kept my french portable number, changed provider and got a SAMSUNG J5 on promo at L'Eclerc and opted for the 2€ forfait with Free.  However, even though it is supposed to be 2hrs talk time and unlimited SMS and MMS en france, I cannot receive or send MMS messages.  I have been on to the Free site, numerous forums and double treble checked that my parameters are correct.......I would be grateful for any help before I telephone the Free helpline.
Thanks!
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:14 pm

......and the reason I am hesitating about ringing the Free helpline is that I have already rang it - as they suggested from another line so that they can then give you instructions on what to do with your portable - but in doing so it is payant and there was a waiting time of at least 10 minutes........so any ideas?
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by BLAKEVINE Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 am

So, 2 things to report. Firstly, I was wrong as having checked our espace client in Orange, the call to Free on 3244 appears to have been gratuit. Also, having gone back into my espace abonné on Free, my "data option" was désactivé despite the fact that I get 50mo gratuit and then pay .05 after that..I've now activated this option and guess what - it works..No idea why it was turned off if it is part of the contract, but, now it's sorted. What a palaver....
BLAKEVINE
BLAKEVINE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down