Limousin Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please

3 posters

Go down

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please Empty Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please

Post by arthur johnstone Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 am

Currently use French/Telecom

Very unhappy with the service/speed of connection and cost..very unhappy

I have been looking at a number of other providers and would appreciate and advice etc about other providers.

I have looked at SOSH packages and they seem to provide all of the following for about 50 euro's per month.

My current telphone cost more than that and the internet is on top of that.

Thank you in advance and look forward to being about to improve the service particularly the spped of my internet connection..which is very slow and my current provider says it is work well for my area...if it was gas operated it would be faster.

Arthur confused 

arthur johnstone

Back to top Go down

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please Empty Re: Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please

Post by Tony H Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Arthur... alternatives to FT/Orange depend mostly on internet speed. No use having an internet based VOIP phone if you have rubbish speed as the results will not be good Try the below link to check eligibility and speed (debit) at the top of the screen and post the results here.

http://www.degrouptest.com/
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please Empty Re: Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please

Post by twointheeye Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:20 pm

We got so fed up with the lack of consistency with Orange internet we had to go for satellite broadband, but we work over it so need it almost 24/7. No good for the VOIP phone however as there's a 0.75 second delay, so we have to have orange internet & phone as well! Total cost is ... a lot! .... but needed for work. About £80pm, but much less if you use less data.

twointheeye

Back to top Go down

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please Empty Thank you for the replies

Post by arthur johnstone Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 pm

I have followed T Smile ony's advice and done the test using the link he sent me. Not good so it is the line that is the problem not the ISP

I also tried this link which is independent from suppliers ..other may wish to use it and compare "promises with actual download and up load offers. still on the task so any views on other providers ( as I need to reduce bills) even if I have a sh..line.

Must ask the local politico's as we have an election soon here in France about upgrading the infra structures

Try this link

speedtest.net

Again many thanks

Arthur

arthur johnstone

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:50 pm

arthur johnstone wrote:I have followed T Smile ony's advice and done the test using the link he sent me. Not good so it is the line that is the problem not the ISP

What result did you get, distance from exchange, attenuation and theoretical max speed etc ?????
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Changing Telphone and Internet Provider..Help/Advice useful experiences please Empty All of what you listed

Post by arthur johnstone Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Tony

All that you listed

The independent site showed just how bad our connection/line is > Not much hope unless I can get someone to improve the line.

It appears that ISP can promise but can't deliver as it is the line infrastructure that appear to be the real problem.

I have to decide to go for a reduction in cost fron FT/organge by using another provider and live with the problem with the line and maybe witha marginal improvement in actual speed

Or change my council so that we can have 21 Century infrastucture in rural France....a big question for many who wish to work and enjoy rural France.

Hope someone wil come up with a comparison of different providers

Thanks again..great contributions and advice

Arthur

arthur johnstone

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony H Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey Arthur, I was hoping for figures, just so I could judge how bad it was and what was possible. I take it was that bad that you can see for your self.

If VOIP is not practical there is always the choice , as you say, to use another provider but keep your FT line and use Wimax or similar for the net connection
Tony H
Tony H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down